Tuesday 20 March 2012

Punk... Then and Now

Rebelling. Attitude. Originality. Anti-glamour.

After the perfect eras of the swinging sixties, hippie seventies, squeaky eighties and punk is on your doorstep. With permanent tattoos and that Doc Martin shape footprint engraved into fashion history punk made a lasting impact on fashion.

The look; a reaction against glamour and the falseness of fashion meant to symbolise a change in attitude and the public’s desire for realness. Not only a direct rejection of the ideology ‘sex sells’ and the optimism within fashion adverts and photography like the Wonderbra campaign of the early nineties featuring Eva Herzigova in lingerie with just the words ‘Hello Boys’.

When you say the words punk you think of mohicans, leather, tartan, safety pins and studs. Quite ironically punk came to a dramatic end when it became too mainstream. Punk stood for originality and wasn’t afraid to be different but the punk minority grew into more of the majority and fr punk to survive it had to die then.

Fashion is always a direct link to societal change and the mood of society. Punk fashion is a great example of that. What I think is so moving is that it remains one of the most iconic fashions.

I love the fact that our fashions today are influenced by punk. Even with my girly fashion I love that fact that my wardrobe contains punk elements to it and had great delight in 'punking' my little sister up for a school disco a few days ago. Anything from a denim jacket to checks to leather can be punk inspired. I love a few studs too and one of my favourite pieces has to be a vintage denim jacket in a washed denim colour and baggy style.

It’s not only me punk affects its all of us but my brother went through a big punk phrase. Looking at my brother now with his 2 year old son you would never believe that he had a 5 inch Mohican he used to spike up and tartan trousers (probably the most larriest trousers you could find with one leg a royal, bright blue and the other a canary yellow). He may have calmed down in his fashion since then although he still has his leather jacket as one of his prized possessions but I think he did punk to express himself. He wanted to reject the reality of what was going on around him, rebel and shock everyone.

I love the fact that even 20 years on punk fashion still remains the greatest influence to fashion and even in my feminine look will probably continue to do so. Look in your wardrobe I am in no doubt everyone will probably have something influenced by punk in there... I didn't believe it until I truly thought about it with my wardrobe doors open. So take a bow to such a quick fashion 'fad' that caused a storm at the time and still continues too...

No comments:

Post a Comment